Treatment & guidelines
- Prevent death
- Minimise patient's discomfort and distress
- Limit the extent of myocardial damage
Re-establish myocardial reperfusion before irreversible damage occurs:
- Mechanically (percutaneous coronary intervention)
- Pharmacologically (induction of thrombolysis using a fibrinolytic/thrombolytic agent). Please refer to section “Why Metalyse®?” for more information about pharmacological reperfusion and pre-hospital thrombolysis.
REMEMBER: TIME IS MUSCLE
ESC STEMI reperfusion treatment guidelines 2012
- Task Force on the management of ST-segment elevation acute myocardial infarction of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), Steg G, et al. ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation. Eur Heart J 2012;33:2569-2619.